Linn Hi Fi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Tune Dem?

3 posters

Go down

How to Tune Dem? Empty How to Tune Dem?

Post  Danny Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:13 am

Excuse my ignorance but can somone simply explain how to do this and what it is. The description on the Linn pages has me scratching my head.

Danny

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

How to Tune Dem? Empty Re: How to Tune Dem?

Post  Linn-user Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:38 am

Don't worry about it.. Basically listen to the music rather than the hi fi.. Changes you make should make the music sound better, not just give hi fi improvements.. As a very extreme example , there is no point in having wonderfully detailed to the nth degree treble, if it makes your nose bleed to listen to it..

One of the problems I have with the whole tune dem system however is the odd idea that you can settle into the musicality of a system and decide which is better in 10mins.. Things are not that simple.. Bright systems can sound exciting and trick you into thinking they are better for 10mins.. Living with them a week later and you wil be wondering why you have stopped playing music anymore unless you have a ready supply of Aspirin..

Linn-user

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post  dlorde Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:42 am

Yes, forget the quality of the sound, and focus on following the music - can you follow the line played by each instrument without effort? Can you easily switch attention between them? Can you easily follow two instruments playing counterpoint? Focus on the bass - can you pick out the tune easily? Are the individual lines of the instruments clear and separate, but still blend into a seamless whole? Do you find your feet tapping, head nodding, are you humming along to it in your head?

I use certain albums that are a good test for harshness and brightness - baroque music on original instruments (Handel, etc) is very revealing - it should be crisp and bright, but cheerful, not harsh or fatiguing. One of my favouite testers is the fabulous Bach English Suites for Harpsichord played by Carole Cerasi. On a good system this will suck you in with crisp, sharp treble and deep rich bass, with every melodic line clearly audible. You should find yourself smiling and wanting to listen to the end. On a less good system it will sound a bit jangly and confused, making you slightly edgy and restless.

dlorde

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum