Linn Hi Fi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best standmount speakers you have ever heard?

5 posters

Go down

Best standmount speakers you have ever heard? Empty Best standmount speakers you have ever heard?

Post  Classsik Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:26 am

I have just had a listen to Linn Akurate 212 speakers and found them rather enjoyable and effortless. However I don't know whether they are really worth the price and how they compare vs. the competition.

Best standmount speakers you have ever heard? 48188328-

What is the best bookshelf speaker you've ever heard? I have a list of potential competitors in mind, but may be I am missing some of them

Classsik

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Best standmount speakers you have ever heard? Empty Re: Best standmount speakers you have ever heard?

Post  Linn-user Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:44 am

Have you tried the Katans firstly. In my opinion they are better value than those ugly Shocked Linn 212s.

Now I have to admit i have yet to hear the 212s however I did have a good listen to the big brother 242s a few weeks back and was rather underwhelmed by the way that they presented the music, I thought they sounded dry as if each note was a little to clinically finished. Maybe the 212s are a better all round sound though but at the current retail I would definatly demo them in your own house alongside a few other options.

Linn-user

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-02-17

Back to top Go down

Best standmount speakers you have ever heard? Empty Re: Best standmount speakers you have ever heard?

Post  Toby Andrews Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:05 am

Whilst not standmounts

I heard the Linn Akurate 242s on the end of a Akurate CD, Kontrol,and a pair of 2200 today. I have to admit I was very impressed. They were coherent, loads of PRaT, lovely midrange and real controlled but deep bass.

I found the top maybe not as clean as a B&W with diamonds on or JMLabs Berylium. This to me made them more together and more like a single driver set up. The whole frequency range was of the same tonal qualities and timing.

Excellent work, another gem to follow the LP12 and CD12.

Toby Andrews

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Domain Rider Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:26 am

I upgraded from active Katans to Akurate 212s, and the difference is stunning - especially when you activate the 212s, but it is a huge leap in cost.

The Katans are OK passive, but really sing when driven active - this is a very worthwhile upgrade and considerably cheaper than passive 212s. When I activated the Katans (with an AV5125 amp), the improvement was so great, I very nearly cancelled my upgrade to the 212s - but the offer was too good to miss Smile

Domain Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:36 am

Take a tip from good dealers on choosing speakers!

Draw up a shortlist of your four favorite speakers and arrange a home demo for each of them. Then you can listen to them within the confines of your own system and choose which one fits your own listening requirements.

Its a long haul but well worth it in the end!

Domain is right though, think about potential for going Activ later

Sid

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down